Wednesday 1 April 2020

Update - Introduction to Online Learning

Hello everyone,

It was great to connect with so many of you on the phone, and I look forward to continuing to connect over the coming weeks as we transition to online learning.

Below is information on what online learning will look like for our class.  I have also provided a link to a video to allow me to address everyone personally and explain in more detail.

Introduction to Online Learning Video

Notes from the Video
1.  Please begin each day by checking the blog.  All assignments, instructions, news, etc. will be posted here. 

2.  While assignments and instructions will be posted on the blog, documents and tasks will be placed on Google Classroom as they normally are.  Please make sure that you have access to the following Google Classrooms….
- Literacy
- Math
- Geography
- If you do not have access to any of these, please email me and let me know so that I can get you connected. (jonathan.carr@yrdsb.ca)

3.  Please follow all instructions - do not try to skip steps.  This could lead to great confusion for students.

4.  Submitting assignments - This is another reason why it is important to follow all instructions.  I will ask students to submit work in particular ways so that I can keep track of work being completed, and provide feedback on particular tasks.

5.  Assessment - At this point in time, the school board has not given us any information on assessments (grades/marks).  This information will be coming later. 

6.  No busy work - I will not be providing you with “busy work”.  The work assigned will have purpose, and will not be meant to simply keep you busy.  I will seek to keep instruction concise.  Just like in class, the work I provide you will have a purpose, and tasks will often build upon each other to support your understanding of curricular concepts, as well as to develop critical thinking and learning skills.

7.  Mr. Carr's office hours will be from 9am - 12pm (Monday thru Friday).  These are the times that I will be available for questions and support as you complete assigned work.

8.  When you complete your work is up to you.  If you can, it is recommended that you try to maintain a consistent schedule.  This is why I am making myself available from 9am-12pm for questions, teaching and general support.  Other aspects of my school day will be spent creating lessons and providing feedback on work.

9.  For each task there will be a "Questions" document for you to post all of your questions.  You can post your questions in the document, and I will answer them in the document.  You are encouraged to post your questions there because that way everyone can see the questions and answers, and learn from them. 

10.  If you have private questions please feel free to send me an email.

11.  The YRDSB has asked that we provide no more than 10 hours/week of school work.  I will seek to structure assignments in a way which would require approximately this amount of time for each subject.  The below time frames are per day....
- Literacy (45 minutes)
- Math (30 minutes)
- Other subjects (Geography, Art, Health) (30 minutes)
- Rotary subjects (French, Science, Music) (15 minutes)

12.  Parents - please let me know if it is taking your child longer than 2 hours/day or 10 hours/week to complete work.

13.  Parents… It is strongly encouraged that you are taking a look at the blog assignments for each day.  I believe accountability will be an important part of supporting them through this transition to online learning.

14.  I believe Mme Murgan and Ms. Glanfield have blogs.  They may or may not post assignments there.  Please check them and complete assigned work.  Please be advised that it may take them time to get assignments prepared and readily available to students. 

15.  Anything from this information could change.  If it does, I will let you know as soon as possible.



While it is disappointing to not be with you in the classroom, I take comfort in knowing that you are happy and healthy.  While this will be different, it will still be productive.  Please make sure that you are communicating with me often, especially if you have questions.  While we might be on the other side of a computer screen, I still consider it a privilege to be able to connect with you and support your learning.

See you Monday!  Don't be late...or else I will send you to the office....Oh wait...Never mind, I'll have to send you to your rooms. :)  I'm hoping that joke seems as funny reading it, as it does to me typing it.  LOL!

Talk soon :)

Mr. Carr

No comments:

Post a Comment